Re: IML: How much for a 1972 Imperial?

Pay as little as you think the owner will go is my
policy.

These cars are really, really depressed in value, and
$3000 would buy a very nicely turned out car here in
California.  Yours sounds like it has more
"opportunities" for improvement than a $3000 car
should.

Unless you are emotional about it, I'd say
$1500-$2500, with $2500 being really high would be the
area I'd start probing.  $1850 would be my reaction on
an amount that's relatively fair to both buyer and
seller from this far away if you wanted a precise
number.

The idiot dash light indicates that you probably have
a brake job ahead of you on that car PLEASE BE
CAREFUL!! Mine went away with a new master cylinder -
I'd encourage you to do the brakes regardless unless
you have a receipt for a complete redo within the last
7 years from the PO.

Both my 72 and 73 needed a new booster after a little
use as well.

The auto temp is always bad on all of these cars due
to a bad design.
The only real solution is an aluminum unit as seen on
the club website for $600 or a bypass and no hot/cold
besides the windows and really handy vents that have
handles below the steering column.  Use that as a
bargaining chip!  $600 sure is a LOT of money, don't
you think?

http://imperialclub.com/Part/Vendors/performancebrochure.pdf
http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1972/72ATII/Cover.htm

The antennas are also finicky, so that's par for the
course.

Output seal on the trans on almost all torqueflights
should get a redo, so look at that is my suggestion.

Get whatever's loose in the front end looked at AFTER
you tighten up the steering box (2 wrenches and 5
minutes).  Then get KYB shocks and a brake job, and
you're on your way to happiness with the car.

-Kenyon