IML: convertible tops

HI All....can someone let me know what 'type' of material (canvas, vinyl) is what is suposed to be used for my 1966 Imperial convertible? I believe it needa vinyl top but not positive. Also, I'd appreciate it if anyone who has replaced their top could tell me what to ask or  look for with getting a new top put on. I am thinking about just replacing all the pumps and motors and EVERYTHING at the same time but for the actual TOP replacement is it usual to also replace the pads and cables? or only if they really need to be replaced? alsao what about the tacking strip(s)? I don't really know anything other than what I have heard kicked around here in the IML but I would really like to do this the right way the first time and hopefully never have to do it again...maybe!
Thanks all!
Dan Melnik