Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Here is the Imperial article

My comments on the headlamps were based on the article in AutoWeek in which
they said the designer felt the headlamps paid tribute to the freestanding
lamps of '61-63. My point, wordily said late at night, was that I am
disappointed that many of today's car designers seem only to be able to grab
the most superficial of styling cues and then use them in a somewhat
shallow, cartoonish way. This is not the soul of a car. Cadillac's Sixteen
concept paid homage to pre-prewar Cadillacs in a modern interpretation. Most
people might not remember what a Cadillac was in the 1920s, but this car
told some of that story using modern (and distinctly Cadillac) language.

The '81-83 Imperials had only one retro cue, and it was one that had never
been used before on an Imperial (the bustle back trunk that Lincoln and
Cadillac had all glommed onto simultaneously). Other than that, it made its
own statement, not trying to grab past Imperial styling cues or ape another
currently produced car.

As for the Charger, the original four-door concept car was from a previous
design generation at Chrysler and was entirely different from the brick they
sell today (which, even as a Charger owner, I've come to accept, though not
as a new version of my car). Yes, it had four doors, but in a sweeping
roofline that made it feel very coupelike and easy to embrace as a
four-door.

http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/past_and_future/concept_cars/img/charger.jpg

It's kind of like comparing the swoopy Citadel concept car...

http://www.onlinewallpapers.net/wallpapers/Transport/ChryslerCitadelKB01.jpg

...to the boxy Pacifica it became.

I, too, would have loved to see some subtle tributes to Imperial's past, but
what I'm missing so far is any actual tribute to what Imperial was as a
brand: the best Chrysler Corp could offer, not the best they could do at
knocking off a Rolls-Royce. And I'd take a '67 Imperial over a '67 Silver
Shadow any day! (And I like Silver Shadows!)

Anyway, enough of my opinions! Like I said, I might completely change my
mind when I see it in person. The view from here could be less than clear! I
probably would have thought the '61 was shocking had I been alive to see it
new, so who knows... Happy new year again, everyone...

Chris in LA