Re: IML: 1963 Crown conv floormats wanted!!!

Re: IML: 1963 Crown conv floormats wanted!!!

You might as well purchase the mats that you like best at your local auto parts, or have some that you like even better made at an upholstery shop.

In 1963, heavy rubber mats were custom made by various after market companies to fit American passenger cars. These mats, which were also often carried by the dealer, extended across the entire floor area, door to door, and both front and rear. They looked pretty nice, but were inconvenient to remove and install for cleaning. Their weight also tended to crush carpet fibers permanently. If water got under them, the carpets simply rotted underneath.

It was around this time that some of the major suppliers of these, like Fingerhut came out with Crystal Clear mats. These were still "door to door" and not much better in the problems mentioned above, but did allow the beauty of the color of the carpet to show through. I have the original box for a set of these.

It wasn't until much later, when bucket seats and consoles became popular that individual floor mats as we know them today became available.

Paul W.