Re: IML: Alcohol Fuel

Too much info., but:

I got the following information from a Google search for E-85.

It list gasoline as 114K btu/gallon and e-85 as 83K btu/gallon which is 73% of the value.

They go on to say:

Should an assumption be made that if E85 contains 27% less btu?s than a gallon of gasoline, the vehicle will travel 27% less miles on the same number of gallons of fuel?  Does this mean that it costs 27% more to operate a vehicle on E85 than on unleaded gasoline?

The answers to the preceding questions are NO!  There will indeed be a loss in fuel mileage when a vehicle is operated on E85.  Actual driving experiences  indicate that the loss of fuel mileage in a vehicle using E85 will range from 5% to 12% depending on the driver and the conditions of the terrain.

Also:

E85 is also less energy-dense than gasoline, so a driver goes a bit less far on a gallon. Its current cost advantage is dependent on a 43-cents-a-gallon subsidy, versus a roughly 40-cent tax on a gallon of gasoline.

It's true that ethanol is less energy dense than gasoline, it has about 2/3rds of the energy content of gasoline by volume, but this doesn't necessarily mean reduced travel because it is more efficient to use in an IC engine. Ethanol can be compressed in the engine cylinder at much higher pressures than gasoline as it does not produce the "Knock" effect because it has a very high octane rating, thus increasing efficiency.

Also, the tax credit for ethanol makes E85 about 40-50 cents/gallon cheaper than gasoline right now.

According to the American Automobile Manufacturers Association, a gallon of typical gasoline contains 114,132 btu?s.  However, even this amount of energy content changes from summer to winter as gasoline?s volatility is seasonally adjusted.  For the purposes of this summary, we assume the following:

            1 U.S. Gallon of gasoline contains 114,132 btu

            1 U.S. Gallon of no. 2 diesel fuel contains 138,000 btu

1 U.S. Gallon of ethanol contains 76,000 btu

1 U.S. Gallon of methanol contains 56,800 btu

1 U.S. Gallon of propane contains 84,500 btu

1 U.S. Gallon of compressed natural gas contains 19,800 btu

Ethanol is denatured by adding 5 gallons of gasoline to 100 gallons of ethanol (4.76%), therefore:

Ethanol @ 76,000 btu/gal x 95.24%           =          72,382

Gasoline @ 114,132 btu/gal x 4.76            =            5,433

Denatured ethanol                                        =          77,815 btu/gallon

E85 is then a blend of denatured ethanol and gasoline, therefore:

            Denatured ethanol @ 77,815 btu/gal x 85%          =          66,143

            Gasoline @114,132 btu/gal x 15%             =          17,120

            E85                                                                 =          83,263 btu/gal