Re: IML: 1960 Imperial - and this applies to all AC cars with 2 belts

Re: IML: 1960 Imperial - and this applies to all AC cars with 2 belts

There is a small wire that comes out from under the
pulley.  That connects to a magnet that is hidden
inside/under the pulley.  When you put 12v to the
magnet, it sucks the clutch shut magnetically and the
clutch plate is then forced into the pulley, getting
dragged along with the pulley.

If you watch your engine run with the AC off, you'll
notice that the center outside of the AC pump pulley
is stationary.  Push the AC button and the center disc
on the outside of the pulley will start to spin at the
same rate as the pulley, thereby driving the
crankshaft of the compressor, which is a miniature
"engine" with pistons and so forth.

The AC compressor has an oil pan on the bottom.  If
you have not done so, you should check the oil level
before using an unknown AC compressor.  I hit mine
without checking it first on the Bay Bridge and the
compressor seized due to low or no oil.  This seized
the pulley too!!!!!  I fried the belts and had other
motorists passing me and waving their hands in front
of their noses complaining to me about the stink of
the burning belts.

If you do not connect the (light blue?) wire at the AC
compressor, it is not possible for the compressor to
be turned on.

One other thing on belts:  Ask for a MATCHED PAIR that
were both cut from the same casing.  This is important
to Chryslers with dual belt systems.  Nothing
sloppier-looking than one tight belt and one
sorta-tight belt due to a few millimeteres difference
in diameter.  I like to line up the labels so that
both are in the same spot as they make their circuit,
but that's just me being particular - nobody else
would ever notice.  Matched belts will have printed
labels that line up as they were sliced after being
printed.

Good luck!

-K