Re: IML: 1960 Imperial - Belts Problem

Thank you, Kenyon.

I have the original A/C compressor. I wanted to put it back eventually
but was under the assumption that it had to be connected as well.

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why not put an AC compressor back on? IT's the
correct thing to do unless your car never had AC. I
leave mine disconnected. Someday I'll get around to
charging up my cars and fiddling around with it.

By the way, I had an AC pulley bearing on the 1970
start making an awful racket the other day. I was
able to swap out the bearing from another defunct,
used unit with no problem, and the car is
significantly quieter now.

-Kenyon

--- James Brown wrote:

> Greetings and salutations -
>
> I am having a problem with one of the belts
> rubbing against the neck of the radiator fan.
>
> I suspect this is because the factory installed A/C
> compressor
> is no longer on the engine, causing a slight shift
> of the belts.
>
> This situation manifested itself Monday morning on
> my way to work.
> Fortunately for me, it all came to a head in the
> parking lot at work
> and not on the highway. The broken belt was
> practically brand new.
>
> The local mechanic, who restores Studebakers, is no
> stranger to
> other older cars. He showed me evidence of a
> previous fix where
> somebody thought they had aligned the pulleys.
> Problem was
> "they" aligned one pulley too far to he left,
> causing the belt to
> slightly bind. The rest is AAA history.
>
> SO - it looks like the belts, pulleys, etc. need a
> complete
> examination. I don' want to and don't need to rush
> into this
> situation and would appreciate any info./advice from
> you folks.
>
> Just want to fix once and fix it right.
>
> As always, thank you for you interest and words.
>
> Jim Brown
> '60 Crown Southampton - 4 dr. Alaskan White

> Yahoo! for Good
> Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina
> relief effort.

Kenyon Wills