Call me skeptical (was Re: IML: '65 Crown Coupe Ordered New w/300L 413!!

Call me skeptical (was Re: IML: '65 Crown Coupe Ordered New w/300L 413!!!)

"M" on the stamped pad is not a failsafe indicator of an "MP" engine.  It could very well mean the assembly occurred at the Mound Road plant.  The seller does not provide a photo or rubbing of the stamp.

I have not seen a 413MP engine from '65.  There was a 413MP in '62, which was superseded by the 426MP that was available in '65.  The 300L's engine did have a different cam, but was not distinguished with the factory designation as high performance.  Taking into consideration the methodology for measuring and reporting horsepower in the mid-'60s, I suspect the Imperial's hp was underreported to begin with.

And then there's the fact that horsepower is not evident off the line.  That is where torque and gearing show themselves.  The 300L being Chrysler's sporty offering in 1965, it had a 3.23 differential and received a cam that gave it rubber-burning characteristics.  Horsepower shows itself at high RPMs, where almost no Imperial spends its time.

Since the seller is offering up this piece of information with the intent that the value of the car is greater because it has what "appears to be" a special engine, I would look for more confirmation.  Coupled with the fact that the seller's ID is new to eBay, I say caveat emptor.

Happy motoring,

David

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man

Yahoo! for Good