Re: IML: Help!! I locked myself out,how to open 1960 Imperial without th

Re: IML: Help!! I locked myself out,how to open 1960 Imperial without the key?

These cars are designed so that one cannot lock themselves out of the car. The front doors will automatically unlock as the door is closed.

That said, on cars with power door locks, the front doors can lock themselves when they close. This is not usually due to an electrical problem, but rather a mechanical one, and occurs when the mechanisms grow old and get a little bit sloppy. I am not sure why this happens specifically with the power door lock cars, other than maybe the extra mechanism has a potential fault.

This happened to me on my '62 LeBaron when the door closed while the car was running. Being a Southampton, I was able to use a straightened wire coat hanger (sorry Mommy Dearest!)to operate the inside door handle from outside the car. I made a hook on the end that I stuck into the car, and I went in through the top of the driver's side window. This was not difficult as my roof rail weatherstrip is very worn. If your '60 is a Sedan, it may be more difficult, but it should work. If you have a very nice weatherstrip, BE CAREFUL!

If you are handy with a "slim jim" you can use this tool to open the door. A lock smith can also be hired to come out and open the door using the lock. Though expensive and time consuming, this is probably the best and least distructive method, plus you will end up with an extra key that you can keep in your wallet in case this should happen again.

Paul W.