Re: Call me skeptical (was Re: IML: '65 Crown Coupe Ordered New w/300L 4

Re: Call me skeptical (was Re: IML: '65 Crown Coupe Ordered New w/300L 413!!!)

Chrysler did not start stamping the engine plant into the engine number
until the late 1960's.     And when they started doing that, the engine
plant was the first digit (preceded by a P), followed by the engine size,
the 4-digit date of assemby (based on Chrysler's 10,000 day calendar) and
the 4-digit serial number.   There was no digit for the model year in the
engine number - that was supplied by the partial VIN on the engine block

>From 1960 until the above system was adopted, the first digit was the
engineering department series letter (model year), followed by engine size,
month of assembly, day of assembly, and shift number (if not 1st shift).
Codes for "HP", "MP", "R", "P", "LC", "HC"  were stamped after the block
size while "T" was before.

HP - High Performance
MP - Maximum Performance
R - Regular fuel
P - Premium fuel
LC - Low Compression
HC - High Compression
T - Truck engine
H - Hemi (426-cid)

Any variations from the norm for the engine's valve guides, bore size,
undersize camshaft, undersize crankshaft , undersize main and rod bearings,
etc. were stamped after the date of assembly.

The "HP" and "MP" designations were used when an engine had different
internal parts from the normal engines, such as camshaft, pistons, etc..
Otherwise, how would a mechanic know the engine had a special camshaft, for
example?   Chrysler's parts catalogues note when a part is for an engine
other than normal.  Differences in carburation are easy as the carburetor
has a number attached to it.

If anyone wants to shoot someone for the engine decode, blast away.  I am
the one who decoded his data tag ("99" engine code) and the engine number.

Bill
Vancouver, BC