Re: IML: '61 starter

>From: joestill1@xxxxxxxxxxx (Joe)
>Subject: IML: So?  Anyone know where to find a starter?
>
>Evening all:
>
>Well, I removed the starter from our 1961 Crown, lubricated
> it according to the FSM & replaced
>the starter solenoid.  Then I put it all back on the car.
>
>Unfortunately, that did not correct the problem so
>now I think I am in the market for a starter.  I thought I
>had one that would fit but it turns out it was for a 1961
>Chrysler and didn't fit.
>
>The whirring symptom when I turn the key remains -- I
>turn the key, the starter whirs but doesn't catch.

  If the starter just spins, it's probably one of two things - either the
Bendix is shot (that's the thing that pushes the started gear out to engage
the ring gear), or there's some teeth broken off the flywheel ring gear, and
the starter gear is lined up with the gap.

>Anyone have a source?  I have tried the site but came
>up empty with the sources there.
>
>Thanks everyone.

   I would've thought  they were available through normal parts stores, but
I guess you've already tried that. Assuming the problem's with the starter,
I'd just get it rebuilt. I've always had good luck with the cost and
performance of rebuilds.

         -Kle.
         '69 Crown 4DHT