IML: road trip in a '72

I live in the path hurricane Ivan took when it came to shore last year and the wife and I waited out the storm with some friends, I decided not to do that again. Last night I climbed into my newly aquired '72 and got on the road. These cars are unbelievable to drive. I drove from Brewton, Al to Columbus, Ga without a problem(almost, lost a hubcap, any leads?). I was somewhat trusting of the old car and left with no spare parts or tools of any kind (this car belonged to my grandfather for 30 yearsand has less than 60,000mi on her). I started out getting on I-65 went 21 miles in 30-45 minutes got back off the interstate and traveled U.S. highway 31 all the way to Montgomery. From Montgomery to Opelika on the open interstate(I-85) exiting at exit 62/U.S. highway 280 to Phenix City, highway 80 E into Columbus.

The acknowledgement I have recieved (and the offers to take "that big old expensive to maintain car" (Yes that is a direct quote) off my hands) is amazing. People do recognize that the automakers don't make cars that last this way anymore. I am amazed at how easy this car is to drive, I did not have a true feeling for the car untill I put it on the road. The only driving I had done in it was around my grandfathers small south Alabama town. When driving around town the car feels massive, on the road it feels no bigger than the "cookie cutter cars" I am sharing the road with, but I have style, true comfort (read: lazy boy recliner for a front seat), and a sense of adventure(no tools, no parts, almost 3 A.M. getting to destination: am I crazy?).

I have been told my car is everything from some exotic 70's import( obviously knew nothing about cars at all, nobody outside the U.S. would make a car 18 feet long) to Cadilac, Lincoln, and Oldmobile. My real suprise came when someone in Brewton got it right.

anyway, enough about me

Please pray to the car gods I can get it back to south Alabama,
Jon Davidson

'72 Imperial