RE: IML: 1962 VIN plate question

Bill,

The photo you linked to shows exactly how Chrysler VIN plates were stamped
and attached through the 1965 model year.  I don't know when this method was
first used though.

I don't understand why they did it, but the plate and the a-pillar were
drilled for rivets without rivets being installed (until 1966).  The factory
spot welding is often sloppy (position-wise) and, being done after the
bodies were painted, not very good (longevity-wise).  I have seen several
pre-66 Mopars that were missing VIN plates and many more with one bad weld
(allowing one end of the plate to lift from the a-pillar).

The format of the pre-66 plates is another story.  Notice that a pre-65
plate has only 10 characters and makes no mention of the engine size and the
body style/trim level info is kind of lame.  The pre-66 plates were stamped
in advance with only model year, assembly plant, and sequence number
embossed clearly on the plate.  When it was time for the plate to be
installed on a vehicle the first two characters were hand stamped onto the
plate.  These two characters defined the carline and the trim level.  I'm
more familiar with C-bodies and a Dodge Polara would be hand stamped D1
while the Custom 880 would be D2 and the top-level Monaco D4.  There was no
VIN plate distinction for coupe, sedan, hardtop, or convertible but Polara
wagons were D5 and Cutom 880 wagons D7.  A similar arrangement existed for
Chryslers, Plymouths, and Imperials.

For 66 the VIN plate changed a lot.  Three additional characters were used
bringing the total to 13 and the plate WAS riveted to the a-pillar.  The
carline, series, AND body style were designated in addition to the engine
displacement.  Also, the entire VIN was embossed clearly onto the plate.  As
an example, my 70 LeBaron 4DHT with the VIN YM43T0C105293 decodes as
Imperial (Y); medium price class LeBaron (M); four doors (4); hardtop body
(3); 440 cid engine (T); 1970 model year (0); assembly plant Jefferson
Avenue (C); sequence number (105293).

So the 62 Imperial you saw has an entirely normal VIN plate.

Pete in PA