From: David Duricy <desotobravo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: 1973 Imperial Topend
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:54:45 -0700 (PDT)

It took me a couple of days, but the head is now off
my '73 Imperial. (Note to the wise: drain the radiator
AND THE BLOCK before removing the exhaust manifold and
head. I got a wet surprise -- twice.)

The combustion chambers seem to have more than their
share of carbon. I can't tell if the valves are
recessed or not, and would appreciate it if the
experienced mechanics among us would examine the
photographs I took of the top end. Please go to:

http://www.duricy.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=1973-Imperial-Driverside-Topend

Click on a thunbnail to get a midsize image. Click on
a midsize image to get a fullsize image.

There seems to be a partial blockage in the oil
passage to the forward rocker shaft oiler.

The tip of the stem of the exhaust valve on cylinder
three is gouged.

>From what I can see by peeking through the intake and
exhaust passages, all of the valves have a fair
coating of carbon, and the stems seems to have a
sticky amount of varnish.

I guess that the next thing to do is to either rebuild
the head myself or take it to a shop.

Right now, though, I need a rest!

Dave Duricy