Re: IML: Adding A/C to a car

Can factory A/C be added to a car?

Absolutely.  I've done it before and I'm about to do it again.  It is,
however, a very big and ugly job.

IMHO it is absolutely essential (for your sanity if nothing else) to own or
have ready access to a complete donor car that has the A/C system.  You
really cannot imagine how many parts are different on a factory A/C car.
There are the obvious things like pulleys, brackets, belts, and so forth on
the engine and the coolant radiator, condenser, hoses, lines and other stuff
under the hood.  The dash stamping is different and you'll have to precision
cut the holes for A/C outlets (I did this on the first one I did) or replace
the whole dash shell (I intend to do this on my current project).  Depending
on the vehicle model year the A/C wiring harness may be an "overlay" or all
the A/C wiring may be incorporated into the instrument panel main harness.

The firewall DOES have different cutouts on an A/C equipped vehicle and
making the necessary changes is a REAL pain (sometimes literally).  I use an
air chisel to cut the partial firewall out of the donor car, trim it as
necessary, clamp or screw it to the firewall of my recipient vehicle, and
then use drills/saws/grinders/nibblers as necessary to make the changes.

On the vehicles I've done the firewall insulation pieces were also different
and had to be changed.

Are you going to "go all the way" and change to tinted glass?  I had to do
this on my first one but, fortunately, my current project one already has
full tinted glass installed.

As far as I'm concerned it would be absolutely impossible to tell that I've
added the A/C to these vehicles.  Well, except for looking at the fender tag
or broadcast sheet!

Pete in PA