Re: IML:Flip up headlights on 91 imperial

Re: IML:Flip up headlights on 91 imperial

It sounds like the motor is wearing out, or the shaft could be
damaged.  The motor puts a lot of torque on that shaft, and if it's
getting bent it may well not work properly anymore.

Here are a couple things to diagnose:

*  Reach up from underneath the front splash guard (or remove the
phillips screws and take the grille off) and turn the screw on the
bottom of the motor.  It should run the headlight doors up and down
(super-slow, remember it's a worm-drive motor) but there should be no
abnormal noises from any component.  This will show you if something
is chafing/binding.

*  Go to any junkyard and pull a new motor from a 90-93 imperial and
swap it in-- I believe the one on the New Yorker is the same.  To get
the shaft apart from the light you'll have to remove the slightly
bizarre clip.  The clip holds in place around the plastic bushing,
just pull it back and then pull the pin half out.  You can unbolt the
3 bolts on the motor then and remove it (after taking the grille off,
obviously) and the shaft at the same time.  You can also do that to
check if one of the doors is binding badly, they will move freely by
hand at that point.

* Stand outside the drivers door and turn the headlights on and off
and listen for something other than the usual 'whirrrr-clunk' of the
headlight doors, if there's a popping/clicking, I'd suspect worn
motor, if a rubbing/scratching sound, you probably have a door binding
up.

If you are in need of a motor and can't find one locally, send me an
e-mail.  I have a motor from a 93 that should work (I haven't tested
it, but that's easy and I'm glad to) and we can try and get that to
you.

-Jason Wulf