Re: IML: overzealous Sentry Signal?

Perhaps Paul was saying this already and I didn't read
correctly, but there is a REDUNDANT oil sending unit
(meaning that there are two sending units) on the 1973
that I own.  One goes to the oil gauge.  The other
goes, yes, to the Sentry Signal.

Failure of this item would cause the symptoms that you
described.  I have not had the pleasure of owning a
1968, and did not consult reference material, so you'd
do well to double check this theory, but I bet that
they didn't redesign the SS system layout after they
initiated it.

Open your hood.
Stand on one side or the other.
Remove your air cleaner housing.

Run your eye from the carb back along the centerline
of the engine and back behind the intake manifold,
down low about where the trans bell housing meets the
engine, there are two plugs threaded into the engine
block.  They are 90 degrees to each other and have
wires going to them.

The one that I "think" you're going to be fiddling
with is golden/silver colored and shaped like a dome
about the circumference of a .50 cent coin and about
1.5 inches tall.  If I'm right, it's on the drivers
side.

I seem to remember that it takes a special socket to
remove it, so if your wrench is wiggly, don't do
something that would trash the part or you'll be doing
extra, very unrewarding work to get a mangled part
off.  A $50 deposit with the mechanic around the
corner got me use of his wrench, and he liked the beer
I took back after...

I went through this a couple of years ago, so allow
some slack on this, but hopefully it's a start.

-Kenyon

--- RandalPark@xxxxxxx wrote:

> The Sentry Signal has separate sensors/sending units
> for Temperature and for Oil Pressure. If one of
> these goes bad, it can make the light come on even
> though the engine itself is fine. There is no
> special sending unit for fuel. The Sentry Signal
> monitors the fuel level based on the gauge, not the
> actual level in the tank.
>
> Paul W.
>
>  In an email dated 24/6/2005 8:44:14 am GMT Daylight
> time, Jkelly808@xxxxxxx writes:
>
> >The Sentry Signal on my '68 suddenly started
> glowing -- it's on all the time
> >now.
> >But the gauges are all working and they all read
> fine.
> >Anyone encounter this before?
> >Many thanks.
> >Jim Kelly