RE: IML: 60 radio gremlins

I'll agree with this, however, due to the design of this radio the volume control is not easily cleaned.

Your description of "gradual" loss of volume, and no mention of "static", leads me to (at least) consider a different problem, and NOT to the antenna.

These radios are a sophisticated hybrid "tube/transistor" layout. A tube which is failing, or has a dirty connection would also cause this type of symptom. The fact that the volume is restored by touching the volume control could indicate that additional "juice" restores the tube to normal function. This makes me think that a tube is failing.

Replacement tubes are no longer easily found. Without a tube tester, you can't really determine which tubes are going bad. You may wish to start looking for a qualified radio repair man. Because of my collection of vintage electronics, I have found one here in Washington State that could do the job. Some of these guys are still around working out of their homes to add income to their retirement.

I have tried a couple of radio restoration services, and found their work to be inadequate and very expensive. Local modern shops seem to seldom have the ability to trouble shoot or repair vintage equipment of this type, concentrating instead on repairing VCR's and computer components.

Paul W.