Re: IML: (and not Le Baron) ? Au Contraire!

Re: IML: (and not Le Baron) ? Au Contraire!

GRIPE MODE ON

Well, since the topic has come up (again):

The original survivor glovebox door on my 1973 reads "LE BARON". I note without comment that including the space is a customary printer's protocol when printing a proper name that ordinarily would have a capital letter somewhere in the middle of the word in all upper case, thus LeBaron and LE BARON are the same word, at least to a (human) printer.

And as long as we are discussing proper usage, speaking as a teacher's son, "the LeBaron" is repetitously redundant, since the "le" in "LeBaron" is Frog for "the". Of course, "Darling, would you be so kind as to have the chaffeur bring LeBaron around?" sounds just as stilted as I intended it.

And while I'm in "gripe" mode, the "false top" that made an M-body a Fifth Avenue instead of a Diplomat or a Gran Fury was riveted on, not welded. I have one in my "parts pile" that is intended for son Jamie's 5A project car, and well I remember knocking out all those rivets in the "pick-a-part" yard. All the M-bodies with which I have experience (two Diplomats, a New Yorker ('81), one deceased 5A, and two 5A's in the current fleet, have been fine cars. No, they are not Imperial, but they were strong, hard cars. I've teased my son that he should scour the junkyards for a '77-'79 LeBaron for the hood ornament and taillight lenses, just to make his project car a bit more Imperial. If I could find an M-body LeBaron coupe in decent shape, I would buy it in a minute.

GRIPE MODE OFF

Just a former printer's apprentice and Justo-writer tech,

Jay

Jay King
Meridian, Mississippi

Honey Gold 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4DHT