RE: IML: ?Idler Arm, Fan Shroud Questions...

RE: IML: ?Idler Arm, Fan Shroud Questions...

>If I were to rebuild the idler arm, would the alignment need to be redone?
I just had it done.  Was it for >naught?

I'm going to have to disagree with the masses on this one.  All the front
end joints should be stiff.  They get "floppy" when they are worn out.   If
you want to know for sure if there is a problem with yours go to the parts
store and ask to see the idler arm for any similar idler arm and comapre how
difficult to move that one is compared to yours.  If your idler arm were bad
it would have been brought to your attention at the alignment you just got.
Even the worst guys go out of their way to spot wear items in the front end
as they make they make much more money off parts replacements than the do
the alignment itself.  Also call the place that rebuilt your steering box
and ask them about your return to center problem.  If the nut/screw on top
of the box is overtightened it can cause binding problems.

>All the cooling parts are new, except of course for the radiator which was
rebuilt and recored.  I wonder if I got screwed?

Does your car have a fan clutch or is the fan directly connected to the
water pump with a spacer?  A clutched fan should have a fan shroud.  Since
you only say that it is overheating in traffic I would suspect an air flow
or water flow problem and since you have all new parts I would suspect air
flow first as you have.  Let us know if the fan has a clutch and if so
equipped is the fan clutch a thermostatic clutch (thermostatic has a clock
spring on the front).  Is the fan clutch new as well?

                   Steve B.