IML: Gasoline and Imperials

Actually, gas is not all that expensive. It compares pretty well with milk, for example. Or perfume. A little study found the most expensive fluid available is white out / liquid paper. Twenty-five cents in 1958 was the equivalent to $1.59 in 2003. So, relax, be happy. Enjoy your Imperial. I have found that when I have ranked gas purchases against other items involved with car ownership is comes out pretty well.

The most expensive item in car ownership is depreciation and, as Imperialists, we don't have to worry about that. Sadly, what I have found is that investing a whole bunch of money in an old car's appearance does not make as much as you'd like when it comes to its new value. How many times have we seen cars being sold for $10,000.00 which the seller claims to have put in over double that in restoration.

Economics and old car enthusiasm make strange bedfellows. If you bought your Imperial and spent all that money on it to make a profit, you were listening to strange advice or came up with an odd way to make money. No one asked us to do this and we are lucky to have the freedom to be able to follow this hobby where it leads us.

Hugh