From: RandalPark@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Imperial gasoline usage commentary
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:51:29 -0500

It really is too bad that the cost of fuel has to become such a big issue for us. I have never driven cars that were particularly fuel efficient. Today I am driving an '80 Lincoln that gets 23 mpg and runs on regular. To me that seems good, and compared to a lot of SUV drivers it is, but a lot of stuff on the road is getting 30+.

I saw a very interesting cost table on TV last week. In today's dollars, 1979 was the highest price ever paid for a gallon of gas at around $2.80. Current prices fall someplace in the middle of the years they analyzed. In 1979 it was actually around .95 per gallon. At that time I was driving my 1965 Imperial as an everday car. My apartment rent was about $130.00 per month, and I paid around $120.00 per month for gas.

Even at today's prices, gas is still just about the cheapest thing we buy for our cars. I hope everyone doesn't become too discouraged. It is expensive, but running an Imperial is more than just "driving" it is a hobby and a source of pleasure. It is normal for people to spend a large portion of their income on things that interest them. The Imperial is increasing in value, as opposed to depreciating, while serving a practical purpose.

I no longer drive my Imperials everyday, but that is mainly because keeping them all going became less of a priority for me at some point in my life. Since then I have spent a lot of money purchasing and maintaining other cars that have lost value, and not been all that much better or fuel efficient.

Hang in there and don't let it get ya'!

Paul