Re: IML: overzealous '71 brakes

uhh, did you check to see if there is a spring
present?   I have had one break before.  Yours could
be just disconnected?

lay in the footwell.  follow the brake pedal up into
the area that it pivots.  The pedal arm will have at
least one small hole in it that is supposed to have a
spring through it that goes up to the framework
somewhere.  Without it, you'd get many of the
described symptoms because you'd be activating the
pedal without the resistance of the spring.

Get the right spring to replace the missing/broken
one.

-KEnyon

--- Jkelly808@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Being lazy and busy I turned over the job of
> installing a new master cylinder
> and booster on my '71 to my mechanic, who's usually
> pretty good but is
> extremely busy and likes to get my car out of his
> shop as soon as possible since it
> takes up enough room for 3 Toyotas.
> So I pick the car up yesterday and the brakes are so
> touchy and grabby a guy
> could fly through the windshield with a tap of the
> pedal ...
> And that's the other thing. The brake pedal now
> doesn't consistently return,
> a problem it didnt have before the repairs were
> made. My guy said as far as he
> can tell there's no spring on the pedal ... and the
> weird thing is when I
> apply the brakes it's like I can feel some vacuum
> pulling the brake down further
> and holding it.
> I checked the archive and didn't see a situation
> exactly like this -- my
> first thought was some brake line issues, but my guy
> said he checked them. Any
> thoughts?
> Jim Kelly
> Honolulu (cold and windy and rainy today)
> '68 and '71 LeBarons

Kenyon Wills