IML: overzealous '71 brakes

Being lazy and busy I turned over the job of installing a new master cylinder and booster on my '71 to my mechanic, who's usually pretty good but is extremely busy and likes to get my car out of his shop as soon as possible since it takes up enough room for 3 Toyotas.
So I pick the car up yesterday and the brakes are so touchy and grabby a guy could fly through the windshield with a tap of the pedal ...
And that's the other thing. The brake pedal now doesn't consistently return, a problem it didnt have before the repairs were made. My guy said as far as he can tell there's no spring on the pedal ... and the weird thing is when I apply the brakes it's like I can feel some vacuum pulling the brake down further and holding it.
I checked the archive and didn't see a situation exactly like this -- my first thought was some brake line issues, but my guy said he checked them. Any thoughts?
Jim Kelly
Honolulu (cold and windy and rainy today)
'68 and '71 LeBarons