Re: IML: Valve/Head Cover Gasket question

Re: IML: Valve/Head Cover Gasket question

Joe, I just don't know about those grommets. I just replaced my valve cover gaskets a few months back and no grommets were included. Might just be a packaging error. Just be certain you don't over torque the nuts when you re-install the covers. If the covers are dimpled around the bolt holes, take the time to flatten them out. Alex-63 Crown

JosephStil@xxxxxxx wrote:
Howdy all:

I asked this question several days back but hadn't heard an answer so I thought I would have another crack at it.

I am replacing the valve cover gaskets on the 413 to help prevent what appears to be an oil leak causing some smoking (it could also be an exhaust leak, but one thing at a time...).

Anyway, the new gaskets come with 8 grommets made of the same material as the gasket, two grommets for each stud.  These things are like rubber washers.

I can't figure out how these are installed with the gasket if at all.  When I removed the valve covers and the gasket, there weren't any grommets used at all.  The only thing used were a couple of metal washers (and not for each bolt, at that).

Do I lay the gasket down, install the valve/head cover, then put the two grommets on the stud and tighten down the hex nut to the bolt?

Do the grommets go between the gasket and the cover somehow?

Do I toss them in the trash bin?

If there is someone on the list who knows, please send me your advice.

Thanks everyone!

Joe
Allen Texas
'61 Crown 4D Southampon