IML: Junkyard Horror Stories

The front swivels on my '61 Crown came from a '61 LeBaron in the local junkyard. The seats had been re-upholstered with the cheapest white vinyl you could imagine. The rats must have found it to be tasty, though - There are quarter-size chew-holes all around the perimeter.

Nearly everything else had been stripped from the LeBaron, but because the car had two OTHER cars jammed right against it on both sides, nobody had successfully removed the seats. I had to climb through a side window to get in, pop out the windshield using my two bare feet (the best way to do it after removing the outer trim and rubber), crawl under the car after jacking it up, remove the lower bolts, and then rassle the entire, heavy seat structure out through the windshield opening. Then, I dragged it 400 or so feet to the front gate where the cashier was. Nobody would help me, and those things are HEAVY!

I was really tired, and I was able to snag the Flitesweep decklid as well (it lacked all of the shiny stuff - all I got was the decklid). I paid for everything, and then man-handled the parts into my motor-home. Unfortunately, I forgot to load the trunklid, which was leaning on a chain-link fence. About seven minutes later, I was on the freeway and suddenly remembered the trunklid. I frantically tried to call the junkyard from my phone, but they weren't answering. When I got there, my trunklid was gone. I raced around trying to find out what had happened to it.

One of the yard-staff had seen it, thrown it on top of a car, and then used a forklift to toss ANOTHER car on top of it. It was mashed flat. I freaked out! I complained, and the bored young woman said "Just go and get another one!" I demanded a refund and was told "We NEVER give refunds", but they made an exception for me.

As I said in an earlier message, the local San Diego County yards are all owned by one family that refuses to sell cars once they end up in the yard. They ALL get crushed. I saw glorious Imperials of all kinds get stripped by ignorant fools using nothing but pliers and a screwdriver, and then would see the side-windows bashed through from one side as the forklift arrived to take the formerly-pristine cars away. I saw a 1950 Imperial Crown Limousine with the brushed-nickel trim, stripped by junkyard-rats who liked shiny things, before IT was crushed. Luckily, I alerted a few buddies in Southern California with early '50's limos so they could get the disc brakes and stuff.

The WORST thing was the "BEEZELS". I don't know what their real names were, but they were an elderly couple that earned the name, which was a cross between "Bitches" and "Weasels". Man, were they awful. They practically lived in the yards, and as soon as any Imperial (of any year or model) would arrive, they'd strip it bare. If anybody would dare to approach an Imperial that they were stripping, they'd yell and threaten the intruders to try and drive them away. This never worked with me. I'd tell 'em "Next time, I suggest that you PEE on the car to mark it as your territory!" Then, I'd just ignore them and get to work.

These hostile creeps didn't sell any of the parts, and they had no interest in doing so. They just WANTED them. Nobody could talk them into selling anything. Their home must have been a serious eyesore. They're probably dead by now - I hope that all of those parts aren't landfill as a result.