IML: 1990-1993 Bosch vs Bendix ABS

There's probably a fair amount of info in the archives...this subject has been discussed numerous times.

My 1990 Imperial was built in September or October 1989 and had a Bosch ABS unit. By early 1990, Chrysler had converted to a cheaper and inferior Bendix unit. The Bendix unit had reliability issues and Chrysler extended the warranty on it to counter recall/liability issues.

My Bosch unit failed after ten years and there was no extended warranty. It was difficult pay $1100 for a new pump (absolutely no rebuilts available) to install on a car I was preparing to sell. (Some things you never forget...)

There used to be a lot more info about the two ABS systems at www.allpar.com but a quick search tonight did't turn it up. It would surprise my to see a FWD Imperial built after January or February 1990 with Bosch ABS.

Phil Brust
73 & 82 Imperial