Re: IML: American Clueless Insurance

Any "independent" appraiser who is selected by the insurance company and paid by the insurance company is not independent at all.

These folks aren't clueless; this is the game they play. Their job, as they see it, is to MINIMIZE THE COSTS to their company. They cannot do this by offering everyone a high dollar figure for their car repairs right off the bat. What they do is make the LOWEST offer they can and hope you'll take it. They are quite skilled at trying to convince you (i.e., bluff you) into thinking that this is the best you can do, if you fight it you'll only lose, etc. They are betting that most people will go along with the low number just to avoid the hassle. And you know what? They're right. Sadly, a lot of people give up right there with the first offer.

I think all the advice in these e-mails is good about providing sources for the insurance co. to help them evaluate your car, documenting what you've done to it, etc. I might also go out and hire my own "independent" adjuster and get a counter-appraisal, which they will reject, but it may bring them up a bit in what they're offering.

If you are dealing with a regular insurance co. like Allstate and did not have the car insured according to "stated value" but only "market value," you will have an uphill battle. "Stated value" means you & the insurer agree up front when you purchase the policy what the car's value is. If you say $5000, then the policy is written for $5000 and if it ever gets totaled they pay you $5000. If you have "market value" (like on a new car), they will pay what they consider to be the "fair" market value for your 40 year old car, based on their inadequate resources, and the burden will be on you to prove that the car is actually worth more than that. Been there, done that, nearly went to prison for throttling an insurance man.

Last month I had a claim taken care of by Hagerty and it was so painless & fast it was ridiculous. I will never deal with a regular ins. co., like Allstate, again.

Good luck!

Mark M