Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 10:44 PM
To: Imperial Mailing List
Subject: IML: 1990 Imperial ABS Retrofit

Although I am not quite done this project, I think it's going to work out
just fine.

As many people know, the ABS system in the 1990 through 1993 Imperials was
just one of those technologies that had not yet grown up.  Putting product
like this to market is not unusual for Chrysler Corp. or the rest of Detroit
for that matter.  A number of "innovations" have been thrust onto an gadget
hungry public when they were, in retrospect, not yet ready to go into
production.  1981 Electronic Fuel Injection, 1977 Electronic Lean Burn, 1990
Electronically Controlled Air Ride Suspension, are just a few examples from
Chrysler Corp's history.  In the past, when some of these systems were found
to be far too troublesome and too complex and costly repair and maintain,
retrofit systems were made available in order that the vehicle itself would
not meet it's ultimate demise due to it's failing technologies.  The Lean
Burn has Vacuum Advance Electronic Ignition.  The 80's EFI has the good old
carburetor.  The 90's Air Ride system has coil springs and conventional
shock absorbers.

It is my hope that this project will show that there is a retrofit path for
the troublesome ABS system in the 90's Imperials.  The project essentially
involves replacing the horribly complex ABS master cylinder with a
conventional one along with a vacuum power brake booster.  Also required is
a proportioning valve and a replacement brake pedal arm.

I've written up what I've done so far and will continue to add information
to this page as I go along.  I expect to be done this project next weekend
(but that's what I said LAST weekend too!)

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1990/Repair/ABS/index.html

Please quote this message in your reply.  Otherwise I will be unable to
reply to your message.  Thanks.