IML: Voltage regulator replacement

Title: Voltage regulator replacement
Dear Folks,

I would like to replace my mechanical regulator with an electronic regulator, but retain my generator.  I have a two-brush generator.  My understanding is that the generator requires not only a voltage regulator, but a current regulator.  Alternators apparently (sometimes) only require the voltage regulator, and can be self regulating with respect to current.  Do any of the modern electronic voltage regulators provide current regulation as well?  If not, any suggestions?

Thanks very much for the help.

Phil