Re: IML: 56 Imperial

Hi Steve,

The "55" is the model (Sedan), the next "5" ("05"?) is the paint color, Stardust Blue, and the next "81" is the trim code, Dark Blue Silver-shot Nylon and Medium Blue Imperial Eagle Faile upholstery.  The next "127" is the "Sched" (not sure if that means scheduled build day of the year?--just guessing), and the next "1739" is the "Iten"--no clue what that means.

I'm not sure how you decode the second line, other than to say that each of those numbers corresponds with a letter below it--you'll need to write those down, too, for someone to be able to decipher them.  Mine, for example, reads:

5   3  4  1    5  6
A  D  F  G   M S

My car has A/C, so maybe the "D-3" or the "F-4" is the code for that--anyone know?

Be sure to have your brother check out the 1956 page of the club's website for info.:
http://www.imperialclub.org/Yr/1956/index.htm

There's an article there that lists all the paint and trim codes, among other things:
http://www.imperialclub.org/Articles/56NCPC/index.htm

And Roy Braatz has written an excellent article on that cool gasoline "Condition-Aire" heater:
http://www.imperialclub.org/Repair/Accessories/56gasheater/index.htm

Good Luck!

Mike Trettin
1956 Imperial Sedan, Turquoise
1960 Chrysler New Yorker 4-dr. Sedan
1962 Chrysler Newport 9-pass. wagon

The numbers on the plate in the door frame are C56  6335.  The numbers on the plate in front of the radiator are
55  05 81127 1739
5            1          61
                           4617
I am hoping someone can interpret them for me.  I can't wait until he has it on the road.  He is hoping to get it roadable this fall but I think it will be spring.  It has a couple of valves stuck and a few other mechanical issues but the brakes are reworked and everthing else seems okay.  I was very surprised that all the lights worked and the power seat and all the power windows work perfect and they are much faster than the ones in my 62.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this car.

Steve T
62 LeBaron