Re: IML: 1967 Imp questions..

Do you mean a rocker-cover bolt?

I did this once on my first car, an Austin, and I think that the rules are the same.

1/ PANIC! - run around, shout, curse and swear a great deal and kick the walls. Blame George W Bush as it is a well known fact that he is directly responsible for such difficulties and he means it personally. Try not to kick the wife or dog or you'll end up in bigger trouble.

2/ Once that is over with you need to carefully clear around the area where the bolt is so that you can cover it up with a very tight seal - I am presuming that the bolt has, as seems usual with these situations, failed either flush or below the head top. With my Austin I sheared a head stud and had to remove the remainder of the studs so that I could remove the head again, remove the gasket and cover the cylinder tops with paper towels. What I did actually was to stuff paper into the cylinders and then top the whole thing off with copious quantities of cheap grease and more paper towels - so that any loose shards of metal flying around could stick to the grease rather than falling somewhere it could do more damage.

3/ Then you need to get a small file and file the top of the sheared bolt flat so that you can drill it out. Ideally you need to make an indentation in the middle. With my Austin I did this by using a large bit by hand then using a countersinking bit for a while. It took me about three hours to get that far. Generally the bolts are made of a softer metal than the casting - if this is not the case you need an extra dose of careful.

4/ Then acquire a reverse tap , if you can find one, or hire one. Over here you can generally get them from toolmakers or good engineering shops. Normal hardware shops over here have never heard of them. Your local engine repair shop probably has.

5/ You need to drill out the centre of the bolt just wide enough and long enough to get the reverse tap in. Use care, do it by hand or very slowly so as not to compound things by shearing off the drill or by damaging the threads in the casting. Try to avoid going the whole length of the bolt as you'll then get shards of metal further down the hole which you will have to get out with a grease covered pipe cleaner later on. Wear goggles when drilling - small shards of steel can blind you very easily and I am told that the pain is excruciating even if you don't go blind if you get a splinter in the eye.

6/ Apply the reverse tap - which will thread the hole you have in the opposite direction to the normal thread - as you keep turning it will bind harder and harder and eventually cause the bolt shell to rotate - from then to done will be a breeze. Follow the instructions supplied - you may or may not be recommended to use a cutting grease. With my Austin I was staying at a student residence at the time and some clot had left a large tin or Moly lying around - it did the whole job.

7/ CLEAN UP CAREFULLY and kiss the reverse tap.

If you cannot get a reverse tap you can always try to drill out the whole bolt using a drill bit JUST smaller than the thread inner diameter - then you'll be left with a shell that you can probably prise out with a sharp tool - but this is risky as you risk damaging the thread in the casting. If you need to do that it may help if you can clamp a drill stand to the casting so that you can fix it firmly in position - this does not sound easy though.

Now you are going to tell me that I misinterpreted your problem in which case good luck!

Regards

Ian