Re: IML: '59 Trans issue

Hi,
I know this problem !! It's arrived two times on two different transmission (Chrysler 300C and Imperial 57) and another guy of Paris encountered the same ..
In every case here were the facts :
The trans drove forward in N
The trans was locked in R
Forward range were only 1 (the trans 'll not upshift)
When you put the car on hoists and you push R the wheels can't turn : locked !!
In every case the problem was in the forward clutch assy. (note that we checked the cable adjustement and it was fine; it could be a cable adjust but the "locked" R was strange even with a misaligned cable).
When you're in N, the fwd and rear clutches must be free. When you're in R , fwd clutch is free and rear clutch is engaged, when you're in D, fwd clutch is engaged and rear clutch is free. What we had was an engaged fwd clutch in all positions !! So car drive fwd in N and was locked in R (2 clutches engaged in reverse direction !!)
On two cars, there was some water in oil so the fwd clutch "inflated" and was all the time engaged. On the 3rd car (with a new overhaul trans ..) the front clutch hasn't enought play and there was a missing plate. But  it's possible that other problem in trans lead to the same result : wrong fwd clutch engagement

I've removed the trans sometimes as you say with unboltong the four bolts but beware of the front pump oil seal !! Weight is a bit lighter than with the converter but it's around 180 lbs !! Main problem is to re-install the trans : it's difficult to engage the front shaft in the converter hub without damage the seal . You can remove the trans then the converter then, after overhaul,  re-install the whole assy. on bench and install it on car.
I've a faster method to remove the trans, assuming that front pump and related parts (regulator, regulator valve body, etc..) are perfect : i remove the 3 "units" from rear of trans. (one at a time). I used this method on 2 or 3 trans because the "front" parts were already overhauled. It took 2 hours to remove the units and 2 hours to find the problem and re-install it (but i was sure where was the problem .. the missing "front clutch piston spring retaining plate" )

--
Philippe COURANT

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F

Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

Buick 1996 Roadmaster wagon

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f