RE: IML: Sagging in old age (was: '67 LeBaron update)

RE: IML: Sagging in old age (was: '67 LeBaron update)

I don't recall if the adjustment has enough range to compensate for a 60
degree mis-clocking of the bar, but theoretically, it should be quite easy
to find out.

What is involved in letting all the torsion off and slipping the bar out,
rotating it 60 degrees, and sliding it back in?   Maybe there's more to this
than meets the eye, so reading up on this process in the FSM is probably
worth your while.   If feasible, it's worth a try on one of your days off.

You could also estimate the range of adjustment by noting the length of the
threads and the length of the lever arm at the adjustment.

While you're at it, it's worth verifying that he didn't get one bar in
backwards, (if that is possible).  I believe they are marked on the rear end
to prevent this, but if they are the same size on each end, who knows what
might have happened?

Regarding the "dead man's car" comment - I recall that Cadillac marketed to
the ladies; perhaps the Lincoln was also. I do recall the Cadillac ads; they
definitely emphasized the maneuverability.  They had very quick steering,
and a noticeably nimble feel - actually very pleasant cars to drive in
traffic and to park, and that 472 pulled like a train!

The Imperial ads always mentioned the superb road manners, and appealed to
the high speed long distance driver.  Not as high speed as you, however,
D^2!

Dick Benjamin (69 and 70 Coupe deVilles in his past)