Re: IML: no start/ Me too!

My '68 wouldn't start today either. It has been sitting since May. I connected the battery, turned the key, and only got two clicks inside the car. One when I turn the key on and one when I try to engage the starter. The gauges come up when the ignition is on. The "Check Gauges" light dims slightly when I attempt to engage the starter, but nothing else happened. The battery is new and is good.

Multiple clicks usually mean a nearly dead battery. A single click under the hood can mean quite another (bad starter, stuck motor, loose battery connection). A click inside the car is a relay clicking on and then off to dedicate current to the starter.

I began to diagnose my problem, but plan to do more tomorrow. I cleaned the terminal connections on the battery. I didn't think that this was it since the "Check Gauges" light stayed on and didn't flicker. I also jumped the relay under the hood. At first nothing happened, and then I briefly got a spark and a slight rev on the starter, then nothing again. That means to me that the starter is okay, and the motor isn't stuck.

I noticed that the positive battery cable has an additional lead coming from the terminal connection to the relay. The connectors on the ends of all of the connections at the relay terminal have been replaced (not professionally). The relay itself looks to be quite new.

In order for nothing to happen when I jump the relay, I am thinking that there is no juice going to it, or at least a poor connection since I did see a quick reaction once. Tomorrow I will check all of those connectors. I am pretty sure that if there is no power at the relay, the problem will have to be between it and the battery. There is also a little "old" terminal next to the relay under the hood with two blue wires going to it. I have no idea what this is. Any ideas would be appreciated. D^2 I am looking to you on this one.

That is where my reasoning has taken me so far. I'll hope for the best.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Paul