Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 8:29 PM
Subject: IML: 58 Imperial Right Rear Door Trim

Patrick has discovered an eBay auction,
for what the eBay vendor calls part no. 1690 822.

The 1958 parts book says that 1690 822 is the "Rr. Dr. Side Mldg.-RT", which would be the right rear door side molding, in civilian talk.

The diagram shows this to be the horizontal trim about a third of the way up the door, on the LY1 4 Door Sedan.  The diagram for the LY1 Special 4 Door Sedan (a Southampton or hardtop) only provides part numbers for the trim unique to that model, although the other trim appears in the drawing. The inference I would draw is that the trim that is not identified or specified would have to be the same as the corresponding pieces in the diagram for the 4 Door Sedan. This would be done simply to avoid repeating the same data unnecessarily.

Why does that eBay vendor dislike Canadians? I have no idea but, as a Canadian, I have looked at a lot of that vendor's auctions over the years, but I've always respected that vendor's desire to take a lower price from one of his fellow Americans. Sometimes capitalism works in mysterious ways, so who am I to interfere with it, by bidding, contrary to the vendor's wishes?

Dick Woodside
68 Crown Convertible
bunch of other old cars - hardly drove any of 'em this summer