Fuel Delivery Problem/Fuel Pump Rod

Based on my own experience, if the engine that you are working on has less then
200,000 miles on it, there shouldn't be a problem with this rod, and maybe not
even then. I have 5 Imperials with 413's. All of them have had fuel problems
ranging from worn out pumps, bad carburators, and dirty tanks, lines, and
filters. I never ran across a problem with this rod. Two of those cars have
over 200,000 miles on them.

If everything else in your fuel system is within spec, new, or replaced, and
your car still doesn't run correctly I would tend to suspect an ignition
problem. Ignition problems and fuel problems mimic each other in symptoms of
poor performance.

Back to the fuel system, though, I have one car that had a partially clogged
fuel delivery line from the tank. Although it appeared that everything was
working right, the amount of gas traveling through the line was not sufficient
to supply the engine properly. The fuel filter was suspected, but replacing it
repeatedly had no effect. The result was misfiring at higher RPMs, and, in this
case, seemed more like an ignition problem. Finally, the clog broke free and
made itself obvious by clogging the new fuel filter and stalling the engine.
Once the filter was replaced, the car ran like a champ.

Sorry about the "back and forth" but like I said, symptoms of problems with
these two systems are difficult to separate. If the engine oiling system was
ever badly clogged, or if the engine was "cooked" there would be a chance that
the fuel pump rod was damaged, but not really very likely.

Paul