Magnum/TNT exh. manifolds

Quoting Rob P <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> My car only has a 3.54 rear and I doubt it has seen 4,500 rpm in 10 years.
> Usually I'm in 4th gear by 30 mph, but I don't mind the insinuation.  ;)

Rob, your gearing on fourth gear is about the same as mine on 2nd gear!  The
standard Imperial does about 21 mph/1000 rpm, and given your smaller tires, you
do about the same on 4th gear.  So, its real easy to see over 5000 rpm on your
car, if you drive it fast.

> think if you drove them back to back you would see the difference.  It's
> unlikely that you could do that now because most cars have been gone through
> and are no longer stock, like D2s car with the cam (I think it's the black
> one).

The Green Sedan has an even larger cam and an Ederblock CH4B intake, and that
does even better when revved up (but never above 5K).

> Nobody is getting rich selling Magnum manifolds.  People that want real
> power will usually go with headers. I didn't know that Year One sold them,
> but I'm almost positive that Mopar Performance does not, however, they do
> sell headers.

Year one sells them for $500 a piece as I recall.  Everybody knows the down
sides of headers (leaks, cooked underhood) and also, many want to make a good
clone car that looks original (like the fellow that is parting that 68 Imperial
on ebay).

> I'm surprised that you downplay Ma Mopar's development of the hipo engines.
> It is a factory engineered package.  It was not really designed as a
> marketing ploy to get unknowing kids to buy the engines other than by

Rob, as you know, selling cars was more important than anything else, then and
now.  Even in performance cars, performance image was at least as important as
performance itself.  If performance was all that counted, there would be no GM
and Ferd muscle cars sold back then, as Chrysler was certainly building the
fastest ones.

> reduced quarter times.  How many kids do you think could tell the difference
> between the manifolds? I guarantee they didn't put windage trays in them as
> a marketing ploy. What they did was put a little extra expense in for some
> more performance and isn't that what we are all doing with our cars now?

Many/most would know about their manifolds, back then people were more
mechanically inclined than now, and knew their way around their hood better,
and the exh. manifolds are very visible.  The windage tray is more about engine
life than performance, because at high rpms, the oil tends to get aerated (these
old oils did not have as good anti-foam additives as now).  If you cruise your
car (the cuda) at 100 mph for 10 minutes, you get over 4500 rpm for 10 minutes
which can make your oil look like soap!  4500 rpm on my Imperial corresponds to
a bit over 135, and as much I wished, I can't find a road open enough to allow
me to maintain that for 10 minutes.  So, you need the windage tray more than I,
but of course I would not mind if I had one!

D^2