69 sedan

On 7/12/04 10:29 pm, Peter Engel (peter.engel@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I should have pointed out a few things about 69s earlier:
>
> My book shows that the sedan and hardtop listed at the exact same price,
> $6411.00  I suspect that this is a misprint though since sedan styles
> were just about always cheaper than hardtop styles.  For the 68 model
> year the price difference between sedan and hardtop was about $500.00.

The base '68 Sedan was a lower trim level than the Crown 4-door hardtop,
with cloth and vinyl interior, simpler front seat (non-split bench) and
lower equipment level. I believe the '69 Sedan and hardtop were more
similarly equipped to each other, so it's not unimaginable that they were
priced the same in 1969.

> While I'm not terribly interested in owning a sedan Imperial, the larger
> rear window of the Crown does look good to me.  Some years ago I chopped
> up a wrecked 71 LeBaron and cut away the vinyl top covering to expose
> the rear window area.  As I suspected, LeBaron models were fitted with a
> fiberglass plate that reduced the rear window to LeBaron "limousine"
> size.

And while it might seem odd since the LeBarons were far more common, what
you've got under there is the same piece of glass and the same roof stamping
as the standard Chrysler C-body (Plymouth Fury, Dodge Polara/Monaco and
Chrysler Newport and New Yorker.) It's actually quite helpful to us now that
Chrysler used some Imperial parts from other model lines, especially from
1967 on, since it makes replacements more readily available...

Chris in LA