58 varieties

Ernie asked if the 58 varieties do not make the ownership of these cars
somewhat interesting?  It most certainly does!  Four different body styles
and three different rim levels leads mathematically to a high degree of
almost individualized parts.  Maybe the worst thing I have had to deal with
as a result is that the chassis of these cars also varies.  There is a huge
additional 'X' member underneath the four door hardtop and the convertible.
The coupe and the sedan do not have this.  When I needed to get a rear
transmission support, it had to come from a car with the 'X.'  Usually the
first thing to go when a car of this era is sent to a yard is the engine and
transmission.  (Regrettably, the removal of the engine sends otherwise sound
vehicles to the sc rapper, but that's another story.)  The support, a rubber
brick with metal inserts, is probably just tossed away during the removal.
Oh well!

These cars come from a time when the company felt as much pride in their
cars as there owners.  Halcyon days.

Hugh
58 Imperial