body work and paint for the 76 NYB

Alan,

I don't know about where you live, but in Seattle you can pay anything you want
for a paint job. More $ isn't always better.

If you want a good job, look at other peoples cars that have been painted. If
you like the work, ask where it was done. If you don't want to spend too much
money, then plan on doing a lot of "shopping around", or go to a chain (in our
country Macco is one) and work with them to get the best deal. A chain will
quote you a price and get the job done. Any place else might quote you a
different price for a job you want done now, as opposed to a job that you will
let them do in their leisure.

If your car is in bad shape it may not be worth painting at all, unless you
don't care about having more money in it than it is worth. That has NEVER been
a consideration with me since I "love" my cars and tend to keep them for 30
years or more. Still, I don't like to get ripped off. For a non-show finish
that looks good going down the road, and you can be proud of in a store parking
lot, Macco is hard to beat (if you buy their best job). Also, I have had good
luck with them negotiating out "issues" since they have a reputation to up
hold. Some smaller shops may not back up their work. Again, you need to ask for
references, or know others who are happy with their work.

I am guessing the reason that you don't see metal flakes in some of your car's
finish anymore is that they have oxidized out. The metal flakes can corrode
just like anything else, and if this happens, they disappear, leaving a dull,
spotty, etched look to the finish.

The last thing that I will say here is that I never expect a perfect job. I
would not be someone to make a recommendation for that sort of work to anyone.

Paul