body work and paint for the 76 NYB

I have owned the 76 NYB for 5 years now.  I didn't want to drive it in
the winter, but have, on several occasions.  The car is a 4 door.

It's starting to show some corrosion.  I have rust spots along the lower
sides of the car, and corrosion along the bottoms on both sides.  The
anchoring area for one of the skirts is badly corroded, so I pulled off
both of the skirts.

The original paint is a metal flake red, with a white vinyl roof.  The
paint no longer looks like red metal flake.  It is sort of brown with no
metal flake showing.

I kind of like the skirts off the car.  It shows the road wheels nicely.
  I got those wheels from Brad Hogg about a year and a half ago.  Also,
you have quick access to the valve stem.  With the skirts on, sometimes
you have to move the car to get the valve stem down to the bottom, near
the road for access, which is somewhat of a pain in the butt.

I just took the car to Frontenac Auto Body for an estimate of body work
and paint.  They have a good rep in the area for their work.  The
estimate is a shocker.  It's 2 pages long and totals $5191.56 Canadian,
about US$3900.  OUCH!

The car needs a windshield first.  I took a rock in the Rockies a couple
of years ago.  At least the star on the windshield is off to the right
of center and not getting bigger.  I also could use some re-chroming.
Maybe I should try to buff it up with some chrome paste instead.

The power train is A-1.  The motor has about 30,000 miles on it since
rebuild and runs like a top, with duals.  I just drove it down to Key
West and Louisiana.  We drove along the north coast of the Gulf, the
Redneck Riviera.  The car ran like a top the whole way.  The rear end
developed a whine, which I noticed by the time we got home, so, I had
the rear axle re-packed with new bearings, differential and wheels.
The spider gears in the diff are fine.

The interior is real nice, being a red cloth, tufted pillow upholstery.

So, the power train is great and so is the interior, but the paint job
is a mere $5200 plus extra for a windshield and maybe re-chroming.

If anybody wants to see the estimate, I can scan it and forward.

I think I will look around and see some other shops and compare prices.
  What are you guys paying for a paint job?

Alan Harper
64 Mercury 3/4 ton flatbed
69 Dodge D100 pickup
76 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham
78 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham St. Regis
92 Ford T-Bird
alan__harper@xxxxxxxxx
preservationist of our chrome heritage
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM