Classifications

Well, the interior of these years, especially the walnut-lined '67, is high
Danish Modern design at its automotive best. Thought the exterior is
slightly more of an homage to a number of eras: Streamline Moderne in the
wrapped-edge ribbed chrome-grilled taillamps, Beaux Arts in those goreous
'67 front parking lamps, and a little Art Deco in the bodyside cove that
holds the recessed, tapered stainless steel spear in '67 (which I personally
think -- apologies to those who have every right to gleefully disagree --
was not improved by the moldings that surround the cove in '68). It also
predicted the 1970s Mediterranean look with the simulated wood exterior trim
on the '67 LeBaron drip rails and all '67 door handles. And the front-fender
crowns on the '67s are almost campy '50s coffee-shop Googie. And yet it all
comes together elegantly and cohesively, something that can be said for
every year Imperial.

Maybe the Deco-Danish years? OK, "2nd-generation Engel" is fine with me, as
long as we spell Elwood's last name correctly!

Oh, wait, I got it: they're the most angular and straight-edged of all
Imperials (up till '81)... How 'bout the Right Engels?

OK, I need to rest now...  :)

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon (from the Corinthian Era)