Ammeter/Voltmeter question

When the charging system on my '62 LeBaron failed last summer, I discovered
that the failure was caused by corrosion that the connectors to the voltage
regulator. I had bought a new regulator, alternator, battery, and cables, only
to find that when I disconnected the very first wire, I found the problem.

All of those nice brand new parts are still in my garage, and the car is
running fine.

Paul