1929 Imperial

I would also say to Nigel that I am somewhat envious of his '29 Imperial.  It's
too bad that there are very few of us interested in the very early cars, but
this list as well as the California Imperial clubs is weighted heavily toward
roughly '57 thru '68 models with some representation of a few years either side
of that.  Think of it as a bell curve, if you will.

I have a strong interest in, though no great firsthand knowledge or experience
with, '31-'33 Imperials and  Airflows and I own some '55 on up.  So why do I
own a '54 Custom?  Not because it has ever topped my list of faves, but because
the car presented itself as an opportunity to save an interesting example.  As
old-fashioned as that styling is by '54, she does have some presence and a very
quiet dignity.  Not to mention the longest wheelbase six-passenger car built
since WWII....

But, back to the '29.  Several years ago at the Kruse Labor Day Auction in
Auburn, Indiana, they're was a 1929 Imperial L-80 six-window sedan that went
across the block.  As I've said, I REALLY like the '31-'33 Imperials and hadn't
thought much of any earlier Chryslers--'til then.  There was something about
this big old sedan with cracked blackwalls on artillery-spoked wheels, dull
paint, but original interior that just kept calling to me every time I walked
past her.  Closer examination revealed that a careful buffing of the paint
(dark green body/black fenders) and new tires would have improved her outlook
on life about 100%.  I do wish I had been able to bid on her and bring her
home--she did sell for about $16K and I saw her the next year at Iola,
Wisconsin in the display of Krause's (Old Cars Weekly) collection.  Oh, did I
say she was a red-head?  For those who would ask, that got you 112 hp out of
your 309.3 cid 6 cylinder.  The '55 C-300 was not the first time Ma Mopar
offered the most grunt you could buy at any dealer.  In
1929 112 hp out-grunted the 8's and even the twin 6's.

So, I, for one, am impressed by those early Chryslers, even if I can't helpl
you with parts or tech advice.
Best,
Roger