water leak

There is no system like this on the left side (driver's side in North
America) so this type of leak is rare over there.

It is a poor design, just like the design of the inside of the rear quarters
on the 74-78 Chryslers.

I don't think this is neccessarily related to other rust on the car.  I
think it has mostly to do with how much trash has been allowed to get down
into that cavity and how wet it has been for how long.  People chuckle at me
when I labourously pick dried leaves out of that grate below the wipers but
leaves turn to dirt and dirt gets wet and water rusts, simple as that.

The only thing I can see that a person can do is to take those little
plastic (most often) grates out of there and blast the cavity with water.  A
garden hose would be good but a pressure washer is best of course.  Like
Roger pointed out though, keep watch on the inside of the car for leaks.

Taking that air box off is not that bad.  I've parted out a few of these
cars and it would just be a bunch of twisting nuts and bots to do the job.
I've thought about doing it on my 78 Newport because on that car, the
condensate from the AC evapourator makes its way into the car and soaks the
front seat passenger's floor carpet with REALLY HOT WATER!...that can't be
good.  It doesn't help the AC cool the car off any either when there is a
kettle boiling water on the floor on the other side.