1959 gear shift buttons

Hey, Group,

I have a question primarily for your '59 owners out there, but would love to
hear from anyone about this.  The gear shift indicator buttons will not
really illuminate on my dash board.  I have, of course, checked and changed
the bulb and know it's working.  I have removed and cleaned the buttons to
get the white film that forms on the old plastic off.  Still, despite my
best efforts the buttons have only the very faintest illumination.  On the
other hand the heat/ac buttons glow rather brightly.

Has anyone else had this problem and can you correct it?  And while we are
on the subject of '59's my turn signal indicators also glow slightly whether
the turn signal is on or not.  This is true of both sides.  If anyone can
help with this, please let me know.

xoxox