vapor lock suggestions?

yesterday i was out driving my new '68 hardtop for
about an hour and got it good and hot, after which i
parked it for about a half hour on the street while
running some errands.  when i came back, the car would
crank, but wouldn't catch for the life of me, sounding
like it wasn't getting any gas.  figuring i had lost
the original fuel pump to the mtbe in the gas here, i
had the car towed home.  upon investigating, i found
the pump to be fine and the new filter to be
unrestricted.  i just tuned the car up this weekend,
and verified the ignition system is in top form, so
i'm pretty sure this was a fuel problem.  what's
strange is that i went to go start the car cold this
afternoon, and she kicked right over and ran just
fine, leading me to believe this is an issue with
vapor lock.

i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that had
worked for them in the past.  i'm thinking my next
step is probably to stick a phenolic spacer under the
carb, insulate all of the exposed rubber lines, and
put an inline electric pump in the fuel line under the
front passenger door  where the previous owner seems
to have spliced the original line with rubber.

thanks,
jason reizner
chicago
68 crown hardtop