lifter noise revisited

After reading the thread about this , I am inclined to go along with Dick B.
on this one.   I still think installing a temporary gauge and seeing what
kind of pressure is there when the engine is fully warm will tell the tale.
Basically the oil thins as it warms, and the bearing clearances in the
engine as well as the oil pump clearances must be getting out there to have
such symptoms.   The screen could still be clogged, but theres no way to
tell that without dropping the pan.

There is not any kind of bypass valve in the oil pump inlet side, there is a
regulating valve in the pump itself that can open to relieve excess pressure
and there is a valve built in to a lot of filters to bypass if the filter is
clogged from not being changed when it should be.   IF the inlet is clogged
, theres no other way for oil to get in.

I rebuilt the 318 in my Cuda back in 89, it has over 150,000 miles since
that time and even today with 15/40 Delo 400 oil in it, I get 60 or so
pounds pressure at start up and about 40 at a hot idle.  Anything over an
idle when fully warmed and I still see 50 psi on the gauge, and this is with
a mechanical gauge not the factory one.   This is also with a high volume
pump, so I know the pump can move more oil per revolution than the engine
clearances can leak off - hence the value of a high volume pump.   I would
expect the totals to be maybe 15 or so psi lower with a standard pump, but
still high enough to satisfy the engines needs.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe