From: kenyon wills [mailto: imperialist60@xxxxxxxxx]
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:18:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: IML: Heat soak & my starter motor

I replaced the starter in my 1973 with a chain parts-store "heavy
prolonged run on the open road of 20<br>minutes or more, the car will refuse to
start until the engine<br>compartment/block has cooled significantly, maybe 40
minute-worth.  This<br>does not happen in stop &amp; go around town stuff, and
occurs, the relay on the solenoid can be heard to lightly<br>click, but no
physical movement of any sort occurs in the starter.  No<br>audible click as
heard when the battery is low, so I'm assuming that the<br>entire thing's
expanded so far that it is just seized up.  Works great<br>upon cool-down
immediately after.<br><br>I'm suspecting that the starter is not defective, but
is being exposed to<br>too much heat from the non-stock exhaust pipe that runs
  with fabricating a sheet-metal heat<br>sheild or buying heat insulating
wrapping for the pipe, is there something<br>that I'm not understanding here?
LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
Imperial LeBaron - Long Low &amp;
 you Yahoo!?<br>The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier.
http://www.imperialclub.com  -----------------<br>This message was sent to you